Making a Will – 10 Little-Known Facts You Need to Know
Dying intestate (i.e., without a will) means the state courts will decide who gets your belongings and who will become guardians of your children.
1. What happens if you pass away without a will?
You do need to be aware that some assets are passed on outside of the will, regardless of what you put in writing.
2. Some assets are distributed regardless of what your will says
If you search online, there are many free or low-cost templates you can download to make a will.
3. You can set up a will for free, but beware of the limitations
Having easy-to-access information can ease the burden of an already stressful time on your family
4. There are other documents you should consider besides just a will to protect you and your family
It is definitely in your best interest to have this written down and not left up to the state courts to decide.
5. Name guardians for your children
This trust will hold the assets on behalf of its beneficiaries and is its own legal entity.
6. Consider setting up a trust
Having a will in place is one of the best things you can do for your loved ones after you’re gone.
Making a Will Is Important
Swipe up now for more financial tips!